Wednesday, July 23, 2008

WhiteWater rafting....


I was up in Canada for some shows. We had a day off and I got invited to go whitewater rafting the next day. My mind said "NO!" so I said "yes" (this is a new theory I am learning to try). Minds are overprotective watchdogs that worry when there is no need.

Or is there? We were in the mountains, beautifully covered in snow and ice, about 6 hours North of the US border, past Calgary. The rafting adventure was for "advanced" - so, as the 3 of us were all beginners - we felt bold enough to try. Hmmm....

We asked one ranger "what's the worst that's ever happened?" (minds again) The ranger said "someone sprained an ankle". But once in the raft, the same question to a new guide returned "Well, one guy fell out of the boat last year, lost his helmet and we found him drowned a while later. Maybe a headwound or heat attack or something." So.... one person's idea of 'worst' is "sprained ankle" OVER "dead on the bottom of a river"!

What it looks like there when calm (none of these are my photos). I was desperate to hang on or paddle.

1 comment:

Jovanka said...

White water rafting is the best! And besides the risks are all relative. What's the worst that ever happened to someone who was alive???......I mean besides a sprained ankle?